Wednesday 21 January 2015

Week 3

   12th of January 2015

Today we continued to make the robot. We had to make the body and the arms. To make the body we were given 5 rectangular pieces of wood so that when we stuck them all together they would be a cuboid shape which is similar to the shape of a robots body. We were given glue to stick the wood pieces together. We each got little sticks of wood, dipped them in the glue and then covered a piece of wood thinly with the glue. We then got the next piece of wood and placed it on top and then continued this over and over. We had to make sure they were all in line with each other with a ruler and if they weren't had to knock them into position. We then placed the robots bodies in the vice so all the pieces would stick together firmly.

 After this we were given 2 more small, thick pieces of wood to sand down as the arms. We had to get rid of all the sharp corners and edges. When we finished this we left them on the table then went over to the vice that our robots bodies were in and had to take off all the dried glue and then sand them down getting rid of the sharp edges and sharp bits of wood just like we did with the arms.

  I found it difficult to get all the gluing and sanding done on time as I had to help Hocine a lot with his as he couldn't get very close to the table to put the glue on his wood pieces. I just felt like I didn't finish my sanding and his the best it could've been done.

  I was pleased that we got to glue things together today as in the class before all we did was sand. It felt good to do something else for a change and it meant that Hocine didn't get bored.

 I may need more help in learning how to bring things closer to Hocine as at the moment he's doing all his work on his lap and I'm not sure if this is fine and comfortable for him.

 I learnt that I'm really enjoying helping Hocine and that it's not as difficult as I thought it would be. I look forward to this class every week now and I have learnt that I am able to deal with a lot more than I thought I was.

I am able to bring what I have learnt to every class that involves team work and dealing with people, especially a class like Coaching Studies. This is because in actual coaching you would coach young children and help them be the best they can just like how I help Hocine be the best he can be.

 I don't think I'd change much about the class. I might have changed how quiet I was and instead talked about anything just so that he would feel more relaxed and enjoy my company more.

No comments:

Post a Comment