Wednesday 14 January 2015

Week 2

5th of January 2015



 Today we got introduced to our partners but before we got to work with them we were all brought
into the meditation room without them and got told what kind of disabilities they had in more detail by a woman who helps out called Louise. We then went back into the classroom and sat with the people we would be working with over the next few weeks. My partner is called Hocine, he is really quiet and shy but really nice. He is in a wheelchair and has dexterity problems.
  In this class we started on our robots. We did this by sanding down the face of it and then at the end of class we glued it onto the neck. We left these in the clamp for the next hour.
  I found it a bit difficult to get to know Hocine as he was a very quiet. Hopefully he opens up a bit more over the next few weeks. I was very pleased that he was able to do most of the sanding down on his own and we only had to help him a little bit.
  I think I may need a bit more help starting conversations with Hocine as I never know what to talk about. I learnt that I am capable of helping someone with a disability do something that they would never have done before and this made me feel quite good about myself. I would bring what I learnt to the next classes by helping him more and making him feel welcome and comfortable with me and Fionnuala. I think I would change the class by adding more stuff to do instead of sanding the wood for the whole class, other than that I really enjoyed it and can't wait for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment